This week’s photo is of the Walvoord General Store in Holland, Nebraska in the early 1900s. At this date, William O. Walvoord’s son, John Christian Walvoord (1879-1964), had taken over the store, hence the name J. C. Walvoord’s Store. This is the south entrance to the store. The first entrance was from the east and this particular building was to a competing store started in the early 1880s by Mr. Hoak. Mr. Hoak sold this store to Henry van Diest and Gerrit John TeSelle. Van Diest sold his interest in the store in 1883 to John Lubbers. In 1892 this store was sold to William O. Walvoord and he combined the stores. In the early 1900s William turned the enterprise over to his eldest son, John who was joined by Garret Lubbers.
Thanks to Ann Walvoord Graff for providing this wonderful photo!